Thursday, March 1, 2007

Lens

It made me think of myself, obviously. I immediately spotted my poor self, "me and my writing hand", having climbed all the way up there, through hundreds of books, on top of history's rubble and rubbish, trying to capture its core vibration and translate it, indeed distill it into the clearest essence of a cinematic STORY, for the benefit of THE OTHERS, standing behind me. You know, those people you cherish who usually watch real history unravel on the Discovery Channel?

Actually... In my exaggerated ambition for this particular project, I overreached. I selected two souls to guard the outer edges of my target audience, I can only tell you their nicknames -- TVGirl and Surfindude. But I'm not sure I'll rise to that challenge, I might still fall back into the more generous and patient arms of the Discovery crowd. We'll see.

Anyway, that's how I interpreted that pic (from a 1919's "L'Illustration"). And as if it wasn't amazingly symbolic by itself, please learn that it was taken in a town called "Lens"...

But that pic is so versatile it's unbelievable! It is suggestive of a number of other situations, including really trivial bullshit. The funniest of all: that's me turning my back on Cinemagiah, and opening my own blog. People on top are the few that remained, they contemplate the disaster, standing on top of the ruins of what had once been, for a year or so, a superior place of virtual encounter. Then, gradually, the bombs of vulgarity started to drop and soon enough they brought down the entire virtual edifice. The people who had fun shredding it to pieces are also those who then defected to a brand new forum, top right.

Yeah, a picture is worth a thousand words indeed.

4 comments:

Airlight said...

that's, like, **very** subjective :)

WW said...

that's like, how you were supposed to play this game :) what, you thought that it was some riddle?

yeah, maybe i should have been more explicit and allow the title to extend on two lines by asking "what do YOU see in it"? instead of "which"?

there's also another way to play this game, you know, that old exercise where someone shows you a photograph and you're supposed to tell a story using the elements you see and try to create a coherent and credible narrative flow out of which that might have been just a snapshot.

so you (or anybody who feels like it) can do that if you prefer. or not. :) i'll keep posting minor challenges such as this one, but they're not meant for you guys to get involved. we're past that point and we have plenty to read and do in the "vault". i just want to post these here, in case someone, anyone out there, is in the mood.

well... almost.

some people need not "apply", you know who you are!

Airlight said...

i triggered emotions; you triggered situations - that defines you as writer, and me, uhm, well, y'know... :)

WW said...

this is interesting... you expect images to irradiate emotion, i expect them to be mostly the vehicle of a story, while their sheer force might even... get in the way, when too strong. is this what happened here?

i think so. i always try to find a key, to "understand", i keep telling myself stories when i see images, and i won't let their poetry snatch me. i'm firmly entrenched in the narrative. wow, that's some insight, thanks, airlight!

we should make a good team, then :)

how do you visualize things? wait, i'll do this as another topic, at some point.