Thursday, March 1, 2007

Writer's Log. Supplemental

OK.

I have one main character.

I know her well.

I have the setting.

I know what I want to capture in the background.

I have the three secondary characters lined up.

I have written many pages on all those "people", however, I have still to get it "together".

I have a cool chronology as an Excel spreadsheet, with tons of info for each year, with each character's own column in a canvas of many others -- friends, acquaintances, etc.

I need an outline.

I need 100 scenes.

I need to simmer those 100 scenes down to 52.

Why exactly have I then decided to read another 200 articles concerning what was going on in the respective timeframe, both in the States and in Europe?

I have read extensively on the period! I already know what was going on, I filled that spreadsheet cell by cell, I selected every friggin' event!

However, I want it! Badly.

I feel like it's gonna give me confidence. Somehow. Immersion.

Oh. Right. I think I also want the vocabulary, the way they phrased things.

I think I actually want to travel back in time. And fuckin' stay there! (Must not forget iPod, still need Pink's "U+Ur Hand")

This is torture...

0 comments: